Himalayan Ascent and EverestOne shared a great season this past Spring. Sharon Cohrs led a trek to Everest base camp and Allan Cohrs (EverestOne) led a successful expedition on Lhotse. Allan and Raul summited Lhotse on 16th May following the summit rope fixing team. We also had a summit on Everest and climbs on Lobuche so all round a brilliant start to 2017.
Whilst teams are building on the Western Cwn and on the South Col (~35 climbers have delayed summit bids due to strong winds and are waiting out another day for an attempt tonight, hopefully with plenty of oxygen!), we are glad to be back in Lukla and away from those crowds. We took the more exciting option of a helicopter to cut the journey from base camp to Lukla.
Everyone is resting at Camp 2, except Chris who has already headed back to BC with Chirring. We certainly had a tough team this year. Margaret, Peter, Warren and Chris, all experienced climbers, impressed our guides throughout the rotations with their strong fitness, positive attitudes and good adaptability to high altitude. Here's a message that Steve (Margaret's husband) asked to be posted:
Our teams had a successful morning. Young Chirring picked up where the fixing team left off on Lhotse and fixed the last 300m of the summit blocks, and summited at 10.30am this morning. Chris summited at 11.30am with Lakpa and Pasang.
We're proud of Chirring for the first summit of the 4th highest mountain this season! Previously a monk and now a young guide, Chirring has the luck of his uncle Lakpa's climbing genes. Great news on Everest too. The group set off at 9pm last night under calm and cold conditions. Peter summited at 6.30am with Nima and Mingma.
The team reached Camp 3 at 1PM today. As expected it's a little windy but this should ease off by the evening. Tonight they'll sleep with supplemental oxygen to prime them for the next stage, hopefully tomorrow if the weather holds, they'll move to Camp 4 of Everest and Lhotse.
The boys finished setting up the 2 C4 and dropped off oxygen loads last week. Our original plan was to head up to C2 tomorrow, on the tail of the Everest summit fixing team (Lhotse is all set), to start our summit bid. However now timing is a tad uncertain given the winds expected during our summit dates. This could mean waiting a few extra days.